Wednesday, October 9, 2013

Be a Mechanic, Work on Your Wheels

After deciding to go back to one leg day a week until after the winter, I realized that my leg day needed to be all encompassing and brutal to keep seeing results. I still do quad and ham "touch ups" on other days and run hill sprints at least once a week but I only have on full leg blast planned per week.

I watched several Kai Greene videos leading up to Olympia and I found that his instruction and technique is by far one of the best out. His workouts are precise, methodical and will change your mind about what a leg workout really is. That being said, I took my "Kai Lessons" and, combined with my own knowledge, built this killer I did with my little bro last week.

Leg Extensions: 20, 20, 20, 15, 12, 10 (first 3 are a warm-up)
Lying Leg Curls: Same as above.
Jefferson Squats: 3 x 12-15
Front Squats: 3 x 12-15
Squats: 15, 15, 12, 12, 10, 10
Leg Press: 20, 20, One set until failure (Minimum of 25)
Seated Calf Raise: 4 x 25
Standing Calf Raise: 4 x 25
Walking Lunges: 4 x 10 ea leg
Stiff Legged Deadlifts: 4 x 12-15
Iso Leg Extension: 16, 12, 10, 8 ea leg
Standing Leg Curl: 16, 12, 10, 8 ea leg
Giant Set x 4
     Abductor: 25
     Adductor: 25
     Glute Kickbacks: 8-10 ea leg

Now, for some they may think this is overkill but for those who go hard and only have one day to really punish the wheels this will be right up your alley.

The first exercises should get your major muscle groups activated. By moving from those into Jeffersons and then Front Squats it gives you a chance to really work on your form and practice keeping your back upright before the mother of all exercises, Squats.

The calf raises almost serve as a small break before you go back into a few more compound movements and finish off with some isolations.

I spent a lot of time working on my brothers form and took my own weights down to really focus on remaining as upright as possible on my squat movements.

By the time I was done I was smoked but I had a sense of satisfaction. I found my groove and a workout for the ages. Give it a try and let me know what you think!

DO YOU

-SideMeat

No comments:

Post a Comment